30 December 2007

movies over the break:

so far over the christmas break (and in recent weeks) i have seen:



The Water Horse was basically free willy meets the loch ness monster. I never need to see this movie again, however the creature reminded us of our dumb little black and white cat. a little slow in the mind, but still cute and friendly. and you can't give him up even if he is handicapped and overweight. ha!




Atonement was a great movie. Again, another one that I don't think i need to see again, but i was glad to see Vanessa Redgrave making a cameo appearance at the end of the film. this movie represents one of my greatest fears. having a false accusation towards me end up causing a huge change in my life that was unneeded and unexpected. great acting though--even from ms. knightly. and mr. tumnus (lion, witch, wardrobe) was great.




Juno just might be my favorite movie from 2007. No that's unfair to my other favorites from 2007. It was a top three though of the year. i would consider this to be the sleeper film like little miss sunshine was last year and sweep up everything it's nominated for at the golden globes and oscars. the little pregnant chick had the greatest comedic timing, not to mention a handful of great one liners. everyone should see this film. period. it's pg-13 so you have no excuse.




Sweeney Todd....sigh....i don't know what to write about this film. I loved it for what it was worth. I hated some of the musical liberties they took. actually i didn't really enjoy a lot of the liberties they took, but tim burton did say that this was the "FILM" sweeney todd and not the stage play and that there would be differences. Toby was my favorite. I really liked that part and how they changed it for a smaller child with a higher register. i also enjoyed a lot of the intricate details that are possible in film, but not on stage. Mainly the production design. the sets where amazing. hands down fantastic. there was WAY too much tim burton blood. my friend kris thought the same thing i did! it's like the scene from addams family where pugsley and wendy cut off each other's arms and the blood sprays out like it's coming out of a pressured hose. there was SO much blood. almost so much that it made it comical and took away from the suspense and horror of the story that is sweeney todd, the demon barber of fleet street. he kills people! it's supposed to be scary! not funny! anyway. see it if you want a lot of blood, but don't get your hopes up if you're expecting it to be like the stage play verbatim.




i'm not going to say much about I'm Not There. It was very artsy. And edited so strange. I understood the overall idea of what the movie was trying to present, but apparently I don't know enough about bob dylan for the movie to make complete sense to me. i feel like i need to research him and his life now. maybe that's what the movie is encouraging? i don't know...maybe it just means i didn't really grow up in the bob dylan era like my folks, and even though i know a hand full of his songs, i'm more aquainted with his son's music talent in the band "the wallflowers." 6th avenue heartache. i still love that song. oh and cate blanchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses. she is the best thing about this film in her portrayal of dylan--hands down.




I loved I Am Legend...until I saw the creatures. then all i wanted to do was pinch their cute little ugly faces. they were all CGI and completely unbelievable. i mean come on! you're already spending millions of dollars on making new york city look abandoned and destroyed. what's a little more to use real humans and real actors and dress them all up like any other zombie movie like the 28 days later and 28 weeks later. Will Smith is surprisingly really good. it's just the dang "bad guys." they're no good. it did make me ponder though a little about the "what if" of the development of science and technology. what if one day while finding a cure for cancer or some awful disease like AIDS it has a deadly side affect and wipes out most of mankind? it is a feaseable concern i believe. it isn't going to be global warming that kills us--it's going to be the human race. just a thought..... see it if you like sci-fi movies and will smith talking to manikins like they are real human beings. just be prepared to see some cheesy looking night creatures.

1 comments:

Ace said...

I'm glad someone else felt the same way I did about the blood. And I ALSO loved Toby. I loved him coming out of the sewers at the end, but I missed him singing that little nursery rhyme part. And I did miss the choral parts of the music as well. It's a film I'm glad I saw, but don't plan on seeing again.