20 February 2008

media: lies or truth?

So last week we had a terrible TERRIBLE snow storm which ended with it taking me 3 hrs to get from downtown salt lake to american fork. A trip which usually takes me about 30 minutes. it was frustrating, it was awful, it made me antsy to sit in my car. but was I really ultimately okay? yes. did the news make it seem like the end of the world was at the point of the mountain? yes. i think the only story that really stuck out to me was the fact that the kids were stuck at school. except we never heard the kid's side of the story. a few of them probably thought it was awesome, or maybe some were relieved that they didn't have to go to their house (ie, abusive parents, telling them about a bad meeting that just happened with their teacher, report card, etc.) all we heard was "DISASTER IN SARATOGA SPRINGS! KIDS STUCK ON BUS! HAVE TO STAY AT SCHOOL!" but really--let's be honest. they were just fine.

we study this a lot in my media class. it's called media literacy. part of this literacy idea is possessing the skills to analyze the media that is thrown in our face via email, blogs, text messaging, newspaper, television, movies, etc.

i relate this idea now to my new year's resolution of becoming more "green." what does that even mean? does the act of one person really affect (is the right "affect" or is it "effect"...i should know this...) the earth and those around us? if i believe in the butterfly effect, then my answer would have to be yes. the idea of "going green" means a lot more to me though. it means eating healthier, spending less, conserving more, being more relaxed, enjoying life as it comes my way, being more appreciative rather than negative. "going green" is more of a lifestyle change. i would relate it to being fat. if you're fat and you decide you are going to diet, ultimately the weight you lose from the diet will probably find it's way back because it was a temporary fix. to lose weight and to keep it off, you have to initiate lifestyle changes.

now switching gears and thinking about the media and the idea of being green. right now it seems as though more than ever there is a push for our society to be more green. the media would tell you that we are changing our earth's climate too rapidly from all the crap we emit into the air, all the forests we cut down, all the resources we burn, etc. now yes, i would agree that we are consuming at a much higher rate than we ever have before in history. for me it's like the kid who sees the whole bag of candy and wants to eat it all in one sitting. i get half way through and realize i have to slow down. i think that is what will happen with our society. new technological breakthroughs will happen in the next ten years guaranteed that will benefit our society and help us all be better consumers. but when it comes to the media telling us that the earth is the way it is today because of us. well DUH! thanks for pointing out the obvious. but let's give credit where credit is due. our planet is smart, it evolves with time. like the school bus story, i think that the media never gives us the WHOLE part of the story, just the part that makes the best news. brandon--you should help me out here. i really don't care if i'm proven wrong with this theory or if i'm proven right. i guess anyone can help. (it's also for my 457 blog...that's why i'm asking for the help. haha.) i'm going to start hunting for stories which give more of the whole perspective of global warming: how bad we really are, how much we can say is our fault, and how much is just the earth evolving into a new period of it's life.

to be continued.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

this is michelle. therefore what I have to say isn't at all as technical or accurate as brandon. however, i have had enough conversations with him to tell you that you are on the right track as far as wanting the "whole story" of global warning.

exhibit a: Al Gore. More than a couple of scientists will tell you that lots of what he states as FACT COULD be true, but is also definitely said for the SHOCK value.

Also...producing alternative methods of energy is still PRODUCTION. one can't think that a wind farm, for instance, can be BUILT without using energy that may or may not be good for the environment. no magic wand, even for green projects.

that said, I DO think that it's a very good thing that "going green" has become the hip thing to do. how else could it be accepted and acted upon on a global level? the sneaky bunch of environmentalists who thought that up were geniuses.."hey, I got an idea...let's make saving the earth COOL! Then even the idiots will take charge! If Paris Hilton is doing it, so will they want to!" I might be one of the idiots they were referring to, but you know what? i am one of many, many, many. that can't be a bad thing.

I'm sure brandon will have actual intelligent commenting to come..

Jules said...

Nick, I have a few good articles for you. Did you know that in the 70's the panic was about global cooling? There was a lot of hype about that, I guess. And did an ice age happen? Nope. We're still okay. Now we're worried about global warming, as a matter of fact. And, actually, I read an article the other day about how this winter has been one of the coldest winters in decades. What happened to global warming this winter?!

My point is this: The public will always be paranoid about something, and they need to calm down. It's good to be aware of dangerous trends, but the world isn't going to end until it has run its course. No worries.

(I'll find those articles for you, if you want them.)

Jeff said...

Hey Nick, I'm not really sure how I just came to your blog, but alas, I did! Anyway, I've been reading a LOT of news articles lately. (Both by choice about political things, and for my African History class) Anyway, I've been talking to one of my friends a LOT about how the media portrays things. (More particularly politics, but it works for everything) I think it's ridiculous how much power we've given to the media to influence our lives. Just 100 years ago, the media didn't even have much power at all, now it seems that they get to call a whole bunch of the shots! If you REALLY want to pick a president, get in the media! They seem to have plenty of sway there. Anyway... I'm just babbling. So yeah, that's cool that you're going green. I don't think I can leave behind my typical American Excess of Consumption ways yet. Maybe one day...