21 January 2008

Sundance 2008: Day 1

Technically it's like Day Three? Whatever. Day one for me:

Madison and I got up at the crack of dawn and drove to Park City for the 9:15 screening of "The Wackness." I don't know how much I want to comment on the films I see. I really enjoyed this film though. It was funny and lighthearted about serious problems ie: girls/dating, drugs, alcohol, parents. As I was watching this, I couldn't figure out where I'd seen the lead guy. And then I remembered that he's from one of Emily's shows on Nickelodeon. No, Emily. You cannot see this movie.

Blurb from the Sundance Booklet:


Main Characters attending: (click name to see photo from imdb)

Sir Ben Kingsley (the one and only)
Josh Peck (emily's nickelodeon boyfriend)
Olivia Thirlby (also did juno. good for her for getting a bigger part)

Main Characters not in attendance of the screening:
Mary-Kate Olsen (in pc, just not at the screening)
Method Man (don't really care)
Famke Janssen (would have liked to ask her about X3.)

Park City was insanely warm. Kind of the calm before the storm. It was so pleasant to be up there just walking around. One thing when I hang out with Madison is that there doesn't seem to be rules about where we can and can't go. haha. Something more of a characteristic he has and I don't. But we ran into some fun stars probably as a result of this. He and his sis saw a lot more after I left to go to my second film.

We also attended an Avid Workshop. My new boss told me that if I went to any Avid workshops or demos while I was at the festival I could consider it work, and count the hours for work. word. I wonder how she'll feel when I say the workshop was on sunday. haha. The place where the workshop was held has some really cool pieces of art technology I guess you would call it. I really can't describe it, but nonetheless really fun.

The final list for Sunday:

Dennis Quaid (a couple times)
Paul Giamatti (a couple times as well)
Jack Black
Jared Leto
William H. Macy (but no wife)
Adrian Grenier (I also saw him in New York driving a jalopy stopped in front of Yankee Stadium the day I was denied entrance.)
Dylan Walsh
Tim Daly
Eddie Redmayne


No Julianne Moore at my second screening of "Savage Grace." I was hoping maybe...just maybe. Whit and I went and saw this film at the Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake. It is a perfect example of some of the out there films that are screened at the festival. this movie was OUT THERE. It was based on a true story which made it even creepier. I'm not really going to go into to much detail because I like my blog to remain lower than PG. Even posting the Sundance Booklet description might make my blog PG-13. Sorry Michelle. Don't read this one.



Final Conclusion from Sunday -- My Day 1:

The weather gave me hope for future trips to Park City for the festival. It may have just been a lucky fluke, but it was SO pleasant to be up there. Don't me wrong. Last year was a lot of fun as well, just butt-ice cold.

Free Sundance Swag is fun. I have a new black bag which really can be used as a replacement/reusable shopping bag. I used it to put all my free crap in, and maybe it will be my new Tues/Thursday School Bag. Until it rips or something. haha.

Where the heck were all the lady movie stars? No Mandy Moore for me this year.

Films left to see: 5 for sure. Maybe 6 if I successfully wait list.

1 comments:

Marianne said...

Hey there buddy! Long time no talk:) Paul and I have a blog now--- well, technically Paul doesn't blog but he's included in it:) macfam07.blogspot.com