04 July 2007

4th of July

Well I have a little time this morning...sort of the calm before the storm, so I thought I'd open up my laptop and write a little about life.

This experience working stadium of fire has been...challening. but not in the usual sense of hard or stressful. it's been a challenge because I'm frustrated. when I was called last week, the lady told me they were in "dire need" of stage managers to help. she also told me that they were three stage managers short. in my own personal opinion, we are three stage managers too many. on monday, i had to leave a few hours early to make it to a dentist appointment previously scheduled weeks ago that i wasn't going to reschedule. (no new cavities! that was enough to make my week!)

and that's where my frustrations begin...

because i had to leave early, i was automatically stamped at the "flaky, incompetent, and unreliable stage manager" and therefore I have basically the least amount of things to do the whole evening. some may think this to be a relief. it just flat out bugs me. i gave up two normal work days, and my own vacation day to be here to help, and i spent most of the afternoon yesterday sitting out sunning myself (i will be doing that again here soon...). i feel like i need to print out a resume to and show these production stage managers to prove myself and say "LOOK! i have experience! what you have given the three idiots who you think do a better job than me responsibility wise (who have missed several cues and are idiots on the radio) i could do by myself without you having to worry or babysit."

i'm trying to swallow my pride. i'm trying to not say anything rude. i did make a small breakthrough this morning. shari, the head production stage manager was making comments to all of us this morning. here's a story.

"you're all doing a great job. if i may make one comment and observation. we haven't had any missed cues and 99% smooth runs from everyone coming from the North West tunnel. if you could all run your tunnels like sage that would be great."

"um what? i'm not in the northwest tunnel."

"yes you are."

"no, i'm not."

"well than who is?"

"nick stone."

"oh. oh. i've missed judged you. you haven't said much during the last few days"

"yes. that's been on purpose. i try to keep my questions to a minimum unless it's crucial as to not bug you and give you one less thing to worry about. but i will get the job done quickly and quietly"

"and for that i thank you. if the rest of you could learn from this example, especially today with it being show day, that I will be extremely busy working out last minute details, and unless it's crucial, don't bug me on headset unless i call for you. thanks nick."

WOW! breakthrough. my responsibilites are over after the first hour or so of the show (hence why i can spend so much of the daytime sitting out getting some sun. so i think since i have this fancy pass that lets me go anywhere, i'm going to snag an empty seat on the grass and listen to brooks and dunn. :)

0 comments: