10 May 2007

my life vs. his life

yesterday after I finished my work out and swim, i hopped in the hot tub to kill time before I had to meet madison and whitney for the ozma concert. while doing so i noticed the cute little (5'5" maybe) mexican man who I just saw cleaning up the locker room enter the pool room with a little bucket and mop as he began his daily routine in the pool area. here I am--a 21 year old punk college student who has the kind of money to burn on a monthly gym pass and go to concerts whenever the heck i want to while this cute little old man is probably supporting some sort of family by the money he makes for being a custodian at gold's gym.

this raises a few questions and thoughts fill my mind:

1. is this his dream life when he decided to come to america?
2. should i feel sorry that at age 50, a man who probably had hopes and dreams as a young 21 year old is working a crappy dead end job and probably will for the remainder of his life?
3. should i feel guilty that I can enjoy the things i enjoy when obviously there are people even here in our country who can't enjoy some of the perks and entertainment i enjoy?
4. maybe he has kids who are thriving in the american public school system and sacrificing pretty much his whole life for them is good enough for him.

sometimes i just don't think it's fair that some are born into money and wealth and others are born into complete and utter poverty. why was it determined that one person would be born into terrible circumstances and fear for when their next meal will be when others' main worries involve where they're going on their next big vacation or what new outfit they are going to wear to next week's party.

it just seems a bit lop-sided to me, that's all.

1 comments:

Katie said...

AMEN to that! I think about this a lot- and i agree with you on so many levels- but I think that that man may look at his job/life in an entirely different light than you. That man, who is cleaning the Gold's Gym bathroom, might be so thankful to have that job, knowing he has a pay check at the end of the week, being able to work indoors instead of in a field, sweating and breaking his back. He might feel just as lucky to have that job as you feel sitting in the hot tub! BUT I totally agree with you, and often wonder how I got so lucky and blessed to have all the wonderful things I have.